Talent Pooling Initiative
A leading global resources company which Alchemy has been a supplier of professional labour hire for several years approached our business to assist with their 2025 inclusive and gender diverse workforce initiative. During the first quarter of 2020, we were invited to contribute to their organisation-wide initiative, which is to create a more inclusive and diverse workforce by increasing their female employees and contractors to 50% of their total workforce by 2025.
Create a strategy to deliver talent pools of gender diverse candidates to line managers for the purposes of assessment and selection.
Having established our talent acquisition strategy with a focus on inclusivity and diversity, Alchemy’s resourcing team began to proactively contact and talent-pool female engineer candidates for positions across multiple disciplines. These candidates met the basic selection criteria, possessed STEM qualifications, plus maintained the ability to work FIFO. This talent pool included candidates with mining experience and ‘out of industry’ professionals with transferrable skills were also considered.
The extensive multi-channel campaign that was run by our resource team sourced candidates through various methods and platforms, which included undertaking exhaustive searches on LinkedIn, extensive networking, along with widespread advertising on Seek and similar sites, plus our internal databases.
We conducted screening interviews with each potential candidate. To ensure that the point of contact in our clients business had access and oversight, we collated all relevant information on a SharePoint site. Once we gained explicit consent from the candidates to share their work history and qualifications with our client, we redacted their names and personal details prior to sharing the files; this ensured there was no conflict with the internal TA team.
We updated the SharePoint on a weekly basis, providing the point of contact the ability to distribute this list of potential candidates to various line leaders. By the end of the project, Alchemy Recruitment had talent-pooled approximately 100 female candidates for consideration.
- Successful placement of female engineers into numerous positions with our clients organisation. Placements included ‘out of industry’ or non-mining experienced engineers—an achievement of which we are particularly proud.
- Contributed to the I&D strategy and goals.
- As an agency, we implemented our professional campaign, plus maintained oversight for key client personnel and line managers.
- Talent-pooled approximately 100 female candidates.
- Inclusion of ‘out of industry’ or non-mining experienced engineers.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to create, implement, and bring to a successful outcome a strategic, inclusive, and diverse acquisition strategy, resulting in multiple candidates being offered a contract with our client.
This initiative ran for approximately 9 months and finished in November 2020. Alchemy continues to work with specific line managers to source gender diverse candidates for roles to achieve their 2025 objective.